Orthoptist tests are diagnostic tests performed to assess certain conditions like squint, lazy eye, double vision, eye movement disorders, cataract, glaucoma, refractive errors, vision disabilities due to neurological disorders and diabetic eye diseases. The tests assess vision, eye alignment, eye movement and binocular vision.
Some of the common tests include:
- Visual acuity level: Vision in your left and right eye is tested.
- Eye movements: In this test, the movement of your eyes is assessed in 9 different gaze positions.
- Sensory and motor status: This test is performed to check how information is taken in from both the eyesacross a range of obstacles and combined to produce an image.
- Cover test: This is used for identifying squint or misalignment of the eye.
- Stereopsis tests: The test measures your ability to perceive depth and 3D vision.
The results of the tests will determine treatments such as orthoptic exercises, eye surgery and optical devices like lenses or spectacles.